RV Kitchen

We started our RV renovation this weekend. We had 2 days vacation on top of the weekend so it was a great time to start.
I started with the trim around the tip out that has the desk. All of the inside bits will be removed
I started with a good sanding on all of the doors and any other surface, the cabinet undersides as well as several other places had a sticker and were not wood. The trim along the top is plastic.  We did luck out though and the majority is solid wood. Taping off was the hardest part, it took forever!
I removed and worked with fairly small sections at a time. Sanding, two coats of paint ( I used Benjamin Moore’s Rockport grey cut by 50%) the paint I used was home hardware cabinet and furniture, with plaster of Paris added to it.
Two coats of General Finishes flat out flat top coat, then I sanded to distress. Normally I sand before the top coat, but we wanted to change the colour of the wood as much as possible so I wanted it raw and not top coated.
After the distressing I added the dark wax. Then they were ready to be hung and I moved along to the next set
The frames(parts attached to the wall permanently) were painted the same and top coated, I used dark wax in a few places but didn’t distress
The black that you see on the finished cabinets are now chalkboards. We are going to have a lot of them. We didn’t like the textured mirrors so this is the cheap quick fix
This weekends cost are paint (home hardware) $64, plaster of paris $6, painters tape $5, sand paper 100 grit... lots. General Finishes flat out flat $35( I may need another can of this). Wax, I used briwax in dark brown.
I didn’t get as far as I had expected to in the 4 days. It is a lot of work! We love the end result, but it just makes me dislike things I haven’t done like the walls even more.
My hope was to complete the project in a few long weekends, I can see I was dreaming.
The weekend exhausted me and last night I went back to work for a break lol, on top of the 10 hour days I was putting in working on it we had some Lovely fisher cats screaming in the forest around us at night. I had no idea such a beast even existed! Charming little creatures from the sounds of it
Happy RVing

Tip out before
 Tip out after, the desk, fireplace and tv stand will be replaced with a piece of furniture
 Front view before



 Back view before





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fall

RV Bedroom

RV 2021